Sunday, August 11, 2013

Victorian (Rhubarb) BBQ Sauce

I found this gem in the Ball Blue Book, but they call it Victoria (no "n") sauce. I misread it and just kept calling it the wrong name.

I have always been fascinated with foraging, even as a young child. When I would go for my long walks on our wooded property, I would try leaves and such that I found. Fortunately, I didn't die! I was fairly cautious, but not enough to my current sensibilities.

What does this have to do with the sauce? Well, around here, Rhubarb grows just about anywhere. Every house I have ever moved to in this area that also had a yard, usually had an old rhubarb plant. My current home is no exception. So, to me, rhubarb = wild foods. Kind of like mangoes are in South Florida, you find them everywhere and should never have to buy one from a nursery.

This Spring I split up the rhubarb to try to perk it up a bit. My family has been living in this house for over 18 years, and I had never done anything to the plant other than take, take, take. I was only able to manage two crowns, and it seems as if one of them died. The other is going like gangbusters though, and I may even get a few stalks out of it before winter. Right now I am letting it just do its thing and grow.

Victoria(n) BBQ Sauce

12 stalks (approximately) rhubarb, chopped (about 2 quarts)
1/2 cup chopped raisins
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon canning salt
Combine rhubarb, raisins, onion, brown sugar, and vinegar in a large sauce pot. Simmer until thick. Stir frequently while cooking, and keep a moderate flame. Add spices and cook for five minutes more. Ladle sauce into hot jars and process in water bath for 15 minutes.

For information on the basics of water bath canning National Center for Home Food Processing. Be sure to follow all current guidelines. Some of the older ways of processing have been changed or eliminated as simply not safe enough to use.

I love grinding my own spices in this mortar and pestle



Yum.. raisins!



I think that this is so pretty all cooking down
Here it is, bubbling away!





No comments:

Post a Comment